"One has to remember that every failure can be a stepping stone to something better." - Col. Sanders
How my triumphant journey from fleeing a war-torn country as a refugee at an early age to overcoming challenges and obstacles and how my humble experience growing up has played a key role in my success.
Occupation: Quality Specialist at a scientific and medical device distribution company
- Sang was born in Vietnam into a family of 7 children at the end of the Vietnam War.
- In 1979, at the age of 4, he was amongst the Vietnamese boat people who fled Vietnam.
- He was lucky to have made it alive at sea since he had undertaken his journey (with his family) in a poorly constructed boat, in which he tackled potential deadly diseases, overcrowding, severe weather and piracy.
- Sang grew up in Cornwall, Ontario where he attended school.
- He faced several difficult challenges, including being the target of school bullying for his being a minority in a predominantly white community.
- Sang landed his first job delivering the local newspaper at the young age of 10.
- Shortly afterwards, he delivered the Ottawa Citizen paper where he quickly learned entrepreneurial skills and recruited over 100 new customers within that first year.
- At the age of 17, Sang moved out of his family home to attend university in Ottawa, where he studied pre-med to follow his dream of being a doctor.
- Sang F. Nguyen has a Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Ottawa.
- Unfortunately, after failing to meet the required grades for admission to Ottawa University Medical School, Sang suffered with depression for an extended period of time.
- Afterwards, he moved back home with his family and landed a job in research followed by a position in the field of computer science.
- After paying back his student loan and saving enough for a down payment, at the age of 30, Sang purchased his first property. Determined and ambitious, he quickly learned the value of return on investment in real estate.
Personal and Professional Experiences
- Today, Sang is a successful real estate and stock investor and currently works as a Quality Specialist at a scientific and medical device distribution company in Ottawa.
- He is an active member of several professional associations, which includes OREIO (Ottawa Real Estate Investment Organization), REIN (Real Estate Investment Network), Fortune Builder, Toastmaster International, University of Ottawa Heart Institute, University of Ottawa Alumni, and American Society for Quality (ASQ).