Occupation: Tactical Unit Ottawa Police Service
- My name is Tom McFadden
- Previously employed as a Commercial Pilot
- Certified Canadian Ski Instructor / Coach
- I have been Married for 17 years with two children.
- Fitness is a big part of my life. I enjoy cycling, swimming, alpine skiing and crossfit training.
Personal and Professional Experiences
- I have been a Police Officer with the Ottawa Police Service since Dec 2003. During that time I have had the opportunity to work in Central Division Patrol and Neighborhood Officer enforcing the Criminal Code of Canada, Highway Traffic Act, Trespass to Property Act and the Controlled Drugs and Substance Act.
- I joined the Tactical Unit in July 2011 where I fulfill the role of Tactical Operator as well as Rappel Master, Use of Force/Firearms Instructor – Defensive Tactics Instructor, Carbine Instructor and Taser Master Instructor. Sniper Speciality
- The Ottawa Police Tactical Unit currently has 32 members.
- The Unit is called upon for many specific “High Risk” situations ie) Hostage Takings, Barricaded Persons, K-9 Tracks of armed and dangerous persons, Warrant Service just to name a few.
- To become a member of the Unit an Officer must successfully complete an extremely challenging selection process as well as a 14 week basic Training course.
- After joining the Unit, an Operator has the option to hold a “specialty” position; the three specialties are 1) Sniper 2) Rappel Master 3) Explosives. Each specialty has additional selection and training courses the Operator must successfully complete.
- I am looking forward to meeting you and sharing my work experiences.