“Don’t worry about changing your mind ! How to leverage one career into success in a totally different direction?”
“I know that a lot of students think that they have to lock in on what they want to do and stay in that niche and frankly I found that there is a benefit to switching careers. I went from 8 years in social services to the business world and found the experience in social services a huge benefit which led to my success in business.”
Occupation: Regional Director of Imagination Destination for Eastern Ontario
Personal and Professional Experiences
- Doug works with Destination Imagination.
- Destination Imagination (DI) is a volunteer-led, non-profit organization. Our purpose is to inspire and equip students to become the next generation of innovators and leaders.
- He has an MBA and also a Masters in Education
- Doug recently formed The Action for Addiction Recovery Committee with the purpose of bringing better services to the Ottawa region for addiction recovery.
- During a long career with IBM he came to believe that students’ education needed to be more focussed on the four C’s – creativity, collaboration, critical thinking and communication skills in order to be successful and in order to develop the innovators that Canada will need in the 21st century.
- Doug is also involved with OPERI. OPERI is a public initiative to reform the current education system in Ottawa.