Dr. Jack Kitts
“You can accomplish anything in life, so long as you don’t mind who gets the credit”
– Harry S. Truma
Occupation: President and CEO Ottawa Hospital
- Dr. Kitts’ roots are solidly anchored in the Ottawa Valley – He grew up in a small town called Barry’s Bay where he attended elementary and high school
- He was active in local sports and outdoors activities and planned to return to Barry’s Bay as the local doctor. In 1981, he met his wife, Lian, a nurse from Toronto and plans changed.
- Today, he, Lian and their three children, Kara, Bianca and Bryson call Ottawa their home.
Personal and Professional Experiences
- Dr. Kitts received his medical degree from the University of Ottawa in 1980.
- He completed a three year tour as a medical officer in the Canadian Forces before returning to the University of Ottawa to complete specialty training in anesthesia in 1987.
- He joined the medical staff at the Ottawa Civic Hospital as an anesthesiologist and Research Director for the Department of Anesthesia.
- In 1992, he led the development of the hospital’s Preoperative Assessment Clinic which became a model for subsequent clinics, both nationally and internationally.
- He was named President & CEO of The Ottawa Hospital in February 2002. Dr. Kitts continues in that position to this day, managing a staff of 12,000.
- The Ottawa Hospital is recognized as one of the largest and most important research and teaching hospitals in Canada. Its research institute is one of the foremost institutes in Canada, involving more than 1500 scientists, clinical investigators, trainees and staff.
- Dr. Kitts is an accomplished speaker both locally and nationally on the subject of leadership, particularly physician leadership and change management.