Occupation: Guitarist. Mandolinist. Multi-Instrumentalist. Vocalist. Composer.
Personal and Professional Experiences
- His one of a kind sound lends itself to styles asdiverse as blues, funk, jazz, folk, reggae, rock and world music.
- At the age of 6, Lucas Haneman started playing the guitar, originally focusing on grass roots styles such as folk and blues, but began delving into jazz and alternative rock as a teenager.
- Today all of these influences still make up the fabric of his sound on the range of stringed instruments he plays (including all types of guitar, mandolin and banjo).
- While in high school he performed in many national jazz bands and received a CBC Galixy Rising star Award at the 2005 Ottawa International Jazz festival.
- In 2010 he graduated from Concordia University with a BFA in Jazz Studies (where he received the prestigious Oscar Peterson scholarship in 2008.
- Most recently Lucas has been focusing on writing and recording original music with his new project (a funk/blues jam band) called “The Lucas Haneman Express” in which Lucas performs as a guitarist and singer alongside Jeff Asselin (drums and Martin Newman (bass).
- The band will be releasing their debut full length album “Welcome Aboard” this April.
- Over the years he has toured Canada twice with different projects, and has opened for or performed with musicians in a range of styles including Curtis Fuller, David Newman, Guido Basso, Jeff Healy, James Cotton, Sloan, Don Ross, and singer songwriters Terry Kelly and David Usher (just to name a few).
- This March Haneman is honoured to be making a trip overseas to perform in London England at the international “Visually Impaired Musicians Live” conference.
- “Haneman, a guitarist with an almost frighteningly broad stylistic reach and tone that ranged from clean and warm to distorted approaches every performance as if it is their last. Lucas Haneman absolutely does that He always leaves a part of himself on that stage.” – Farley Flex, Canadian Idle judge
- Lucas has been very fortunate to receive a number of scholarships, awards and accolades for his musical efforts over the past few years.
- Lucas is visually impaired and attended Earl of March S.S. in Ottawa