Have you ever dreamed of living sustainably on Mars?
Occupation: Director of Engineering Services at Mars Green Consulting.
Martha Lenio commanded an 8 month Mars simulation which is designed to help humans actually get to Mars in 2020! Find out how exactly she lived (volcanic rock, no magnetic field, simulated solar power, very little CO2, composting toilets, renewable energy, no fresh food)
- Dr. Martha Lenio was born and raised in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. She has a life-long interest in both space exploration and environmental issues.
- Martha earned a Bachelor of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Waterloo in 2004, and completed a doctorate in Photovoltaic Engineering from the University of New South Wales (Sydney, Australia) in 2013.
- Martha enjoys traveling and has lived in five different countries on four continents, as well as visited many more. She runs, plays soccer, climbs, SCUBA dives, cycles, hikes, reads, knits, plays piano, and spoils her nieces and nephews in her spare time.
Personal and Professional Experiences
- She has worked in the sustainable building industry, the photovoltaics industry, and academia.
- In 2014-2015 she commanded an 8 month Mars simulation with the Hawaii Space Exploration Analog and Simulation (HI-SEAS), funded by NASA.
- She currently works in the area of renewable energy consulting at the company that she founded, Mars Green Consulting. She is based out of Waterloo, Ontario.